Kirkpatrick Traditional Handmade Ironmongery
Kirkpatrick Traditional Handmade ironmongery available from Period House Group with up to 30% discount off all the range.
Kirkpatrick Ironmongery or Ironwork have been manufacturing traditional period style ironmongery for 160 years in the United Kingdom.
They continue to craft beautiful ironwork at their original foundry in Walsall. Their original designs have been copied by many cheap importers.
Kirkpatrick follow age old methods to produce handmade unique door and window furniture.
Some of the patterns have not changed in the 160 years. although new products and finishes have been designed to keep up to date with modern trends.
Each piece undergoes a 16 stage process to achieve the best possible quality.
- Pattern making – individual patterns for each product.
- Moulding – the patterns are pressed into black sand to make a mould.
- Melting – Pig iron is melted at 1200°C.
- Collecting – the molten iron is poured from the tipped furnace into pre-heated pots.
- Pouring – the molten iron is poured evenly into the different moulds.
- Cooling – the iron begins to cool .
- Removing – the products are removed from the moulds to reveal the casting underneath.
- Shot blasting – the castings are put into a barrelling machine, which spins to smooth the rough edges.
- Annealing – the castings are placed in pots,which are heated to 1000° for up to 4 days, making the iron strong but malleable.
- Sorting – after a second round of shot blasting they are sorted and separated.
- Grinding – to remove the rough edges and unwanted seams.
- Filing – each piece is hand smoothed and rounded.
- Drilling – the holes are individually drilled into the casting for screws .
- Assembling – the pieces are assembled by hammering/peening and screwing.
- Dipping – each piece is dipped in protective paint to prevent rusting.
- Coating – the products are sprayed with a powder coating before baking for extra durability.
The products are ready for packing and distribution.
Period House group are official stockists of Kirkpatrick products.